Saturday, January 30, 2010

51. Vegan Chocolate Chunk Cookies

I am so excited about this! Funny enough, I was inadvertently vegan for the past few days (with the exception of a piece of chocolate now and then) and I realized that it went back to my disgust about a report I saw on dairy cows and how it made all the memories of the poultry farms suddenly flow back into my head :( So I didn't really touch milk or eggs or dairy...and I (most importantly) realized that its a cinch for me to be vegan! I eat oatmeal and coffee for breakfast every morning, snack on nuts, popcorn, and tortilla chips throughout the day, eat tomato soup and veggies for lunch, and eat some sort of vegetable stew for dinner.  So I have been looking into really pursuing this for the past day or so and I am so happy with it so far! There are so many things you can find that are vegan! Oreos are vegan, popcorn in canola or olive oil is vegan, corn tamales are vegan, some chocolate is vegan, oyster crackers are vegan..I have a lot of options! But the one thing I would really have a hard time doing without is chocolate chip cookie dough..so I found a website with a ton of vegan recipes and this one is so tasty considering what it is made of! Take a look:


INGREDIENTS:

3 cups plus flour, unbleached
1/2 teaspoon Salt
1 teaspoon Baking Powder
1 teaspoon baking soda
2/3 cup maple syrup
1/3 cup apple sauce
1/2 cup brown sugar
4 tablespoon soy milk

3 blocks Baker's Semi-sweet chocolate


DIRECTIONS:
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.  Sift 2 1/2 cups of the flour in a bowl with the baking soda, baking powder, and the salt. Mix the maple syrup, applesauce, brown sugar, and soymilk in another bowl, Stir the flour mixture into the mixed wet ingredients. Continue to add flour 1/4 cup at a time until dough is no longer sticky. With wooden spoon, mix in chocolate chunks (I cut up three blocks of the Baker's chocolate).  Spoon by tablespoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheet and bake for 10-12 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment